Wednesday, August 6, 2008

I so want to be like Jesus!

"I shall be satisfied when I awake in your likeness." David, Psalm 17:15. I think that this is one of the most beautiful sentences in Scripture. What a picture of a heart for God. I want to have this kind of heart. I don't want to be satisfied with anything less than being like Jesus. I know that this won't fully happen until I pass from this life and awake in His presence. The apostle John said, "Beloved, we are now children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him as He is." 1 John 3:2. However, I also know, in the depth of my being, that as I seek to know Jesus...I will find Him, and as I draw near to Him...He will draw near to me and in so doing, I will become more like Him. The apostle Paul said, "...when one turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away...we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord." 1 Corinthians 3:16, 18. And so, I will seek, I will draw near and each day...I will awake looking more like Jesus than the day before.

2 comments:

Frank said...

We have a friend, Darrell, who is like Jesus in that she has nowhere to lay her head. She chooses to get rid of all material comforts, almost as soon as they come her way. She is in this world, but definitely not of it.

We have another friend, Ron, who is like Jesus in that he always brings the Lord into any conversation or situation, usually
by praying right there on the spot.

We have another friend, Alicia, soon to be released from prison. She has a healthy fear of the risks she'll face during re-entry. So she cries out continually to God for guidance & strength, just like Jesus in the garden.

My dad & I had a contentious relationship while I was a teenager. But later in life, he began to love me relentlessly, just like Jesus. His love was the trigger that set me to re-examining my relationship with the Lord.

I see bits & pieces of Jesus in the people in my life. They are all becoming more like Him as they follow Him daily. He is using them to change me.

LauraC said...

I so want to be like Jesus, also. The opportunities I have to see people around me who do not know Jesus... and are not like Him- remind me: How much we need to be more like Him and rightly represent JESUS, at all cost.